It wasn't until today, October 14th, 2018, that our 'Inauguration Run' of this year's season could take place.
Reason for this were construction works of "DB Netz" on the Agger line of RB25 betwen Dieringhausen and Osberghausen, where the Wiehltalbahn line branches. Among other things, the railway bridge in Osberghausen across the Agger stream had to be replaced.
As the construction works called for a closure of the Agger line, the vehicles of the "Bergischer Löwe" could not get to the Wiehltalbahn line from their location at the Dieringhausen Railway Museum.
So all scheduled runs before today had to be cancelled, much to our regret. It may be a cold comfort, but due to the high risk of forest fires because of this summers prolonged drought period most of the steam train runs would have had to be cancelled, anyway.

Arrival of the 'bergischer Löwe' at Wiehl

This morning, the 'Inauguration Run' started at 10:30 a.m. on the dot at the Dieringhausen Railway Museum. In bright, late summer autumn weather with temperatures around 78.8 °F the train left for the Wiehl valley. It was full up with a tour party and many families with their kids and arrived at Wiehl Stn. on schedule.

Quite a number of passengers made use of the wait until the return run at 00:24 p.m. for a little refreshment at the ice cream parlour nearby.


Steam locomotive 'Waldbröl' is taking fresh waterMeanwhile, others watched the steam locomotive 'Waldbröl' bypass the train, taking fresh water and being coupled to the other end of the train for the return run.

The first run of the year ended up at the Dieringhausen Railway Museum around 01:30 p.m..
Apparently there were some problems with the second run at 02:30 p.m., as the train unscheduled passed the Wiehltalbahn line and and ended up in Engelskirchen on the RB25 DB line. Currently we don't have any details regarding the reason for this.
Update October 15th, 2018:
Reason for the unscheduled course of second run of the day was a technical failure at the DB signalbox in charge, preventing to operate the points for branching onto the Wiehltalbahn line. Thus, the steam train had to continue the run up to the next station on the DB Agger line at Engelskirchen-Ründeroth and then went back to the Dieringhausen Railway Museum.